Gnadentau

Alternate Names
Gnadentau,
Sobachii Kolonok,
Verkhniy Yeruslan
Church

Since 1876, Gnadentau has been the headquarters of its own Lutheran parish. A brick church was constructed between 1884-1888.
The congregation was disbanded by the government in 1938. The building was then used as a granary and barn. Beginning on 29 October 2004, the church building was once again used to hold worship services. Restoration of the building continues.

Type of Settlement
History

Gnadentau was founded in 1860 as a Lutheran daughter colony by colonists resettling from Franzosen , Galka , Shcherbakovka , Stephan , Müller , Schwab , Dietel , Merkel , and Grimm .

By 1910, the colony had a Lutheran church, 2 schools - parochial and district, 1 creameries, and 3 windmills.

Population
Population Table
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1850
 
 
 
 
1857
 
 
 
 
1859
 
 
 
 
1888
172
1,167
587
580
1891
 
 
 
 
1894
 
 
 
 
1897
 
1,441*
726
715
1908
186
2,308
1,171
1,137
1910
207
2,332
1,179
1,153
1912
 
2,100
 
 
1920
282**
2,186
 
 
1922
 
1,893
 
 
1926***
354
2,017
955
1,062
Sources

Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon . Moscow, 2006.

Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
 

Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.

"Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.