Between 1764 and 1772, 106 colonies were established along the Volga River near Saratov. Historically, these original colonies became known as "Mother Colonies". Colonists were assigned to settlements according to their religious confession.
As the colonies grew, they became overcrowded and farmland was inadequate. Beginning in 1848 a series of "Daughter Colonies" were established, mostly to the south and east of the original colonies. The daughter colonies were inhabited by descendants of the original colonists.
Some Volga Germans lived in other settlements including cities such as Engels, Samara, and Saratov.
Read more about the colonists arrival in Russia.
RESETTLEMENT WITHIN RUSSIA
For colony spelling and name variations see the Volga German Gazetteer
In 1898, A. N. Minkh, a member of the Saratov Scientific Archive Commission wrote a series of articles about the German colonies on the Volga for the Russian Encyclopedia and Historical Geographic Dictionary of the Saratov District.
Beratz, G., Giesinger, Adam, & Pfeifer, Leona W. (1991). The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development : a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Lincoln, Neb.: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia.