Johannes Bauer was born 26 October 1719 in Nieder-Kinzig. He married in Höchst im Odenwald to Elisabeth Katharina Schmidt.
They and their children immigrated to Russia along with many families from Höchst and the surrounding villages, arriving from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum aboard the Russian galliot Citadel on 13 September 1766. They settled in the Volga German colony of Frank on 1 September 1767, and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 96.
Widow Katharina Bauer is still living in 1798, recorded on the Frank Census in Household No. Fk087.
- Gieg, Ella. Auswanderung aus dem Odenwaldkreis Band 5 (Lutzelbach, Germany: Gieg, 1988): 256.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999).
- Parish records of Höchst (LDS Film Nos. 1193268 & 1193269).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 434.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 334.