Includes the colonies of Alexandertal, Neu-Hoffnung, Mariental, Grotsfelde, Muravyevka, Orloff, Liebental, Krasnovka, Schönau, Lindenau, and Marienau.
Coming soon . . .
The Alexandertal Settlement is located north of Samara along the Kondurtcha River, a tributary of the Sok River. Immigration began in the Alexandertal Settlement on 20 August 1859 and continued through 1870. These first settlers were Mennonites from West Prussia.
The Alexandertal Settlement includes the colonies of Alexandertal (1859), Neu-Hoffnung (1860), Mariental (1863), Grotsfelde (1863), Muravyevka (1863), Orloff (1867), Liebental (1870), Schönau (1870), Lindenau (1870), and Marienau (1870). These last three were quite small and eventually merged into one colony called Krasnovka.
During the early years, the congregation worshiped in a private house in Mariental. A church was built in Alexandertal in 1866 that also served the surrounding Mennonite communities.
In 1877, some of the members joined the Mennonite Brethren group. In 1887, the Mennonite Brethren built a church in Mariental.
The ministers of the Mennonite church were chosen from among the men of the congregation. Those who served the Mennonite Congregation were:
Dietrich Hamm of Alexandertal (1862-?)
Jacob Toews of Mariental
Johann Wiebe of Schönau
Jakob Regehr of Mariental (?-1918)
Eduard Regehr of Mariental
Heinrich Penner of Alexandertal
- Alexandertal Mennonite Settlement (Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online)
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 311.
- Mariental (Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online)
- Muravyevka (Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online)
- Orloff (Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online)
Last updated 9 July 2014.