Catholic Church
Katharinenstadt
History
      Soon after the founding of Katharinenstadt, a Reformed parish was established in north Katharinenstadt and a Lutheran Parish in south Katharinenstadt.
      Some years later a Roman Catholic parish was also established in Katharinenstadt.
History
      The Catholic church, built in the Kontor style near the Lutheran church, was made of wood in 1815 when the Jesuits were providing priests to the parish. After the 1941 deportation, the building was used as a cinema and was eventually torn town and replaced by a park dedicated to Karl Marx. A new Catholic church with a modern architectural style has been constructed in Katharinenstadt with the assistance of funding from Germany.
Priests
      Katharinenstadt's Catholic parishioners were served by the following priests:
Johann Richard (1803-1812)
Nikolaus Mitzig (1876-1881)
Franz Scherer, Vicar (1879-1884?)
Georg Rießling (1882-1904)
Philipp Becker (1904-1906)
Johannes Beilmann, III (1901-1909)
Martin Fix, Vicar (1909?-1910?)
Raphael Loran (1910-1911)
Georg Baier (1911-1928)
Johannes Zimmermann
Sources:
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1972.
Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980).
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
Last updated 6 April 2013.

Katharinenstadt Catholic Church.
Photo taken in 1917.
Courtesy of Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1972.


Katharinenstadt Catholic Church.
Photo taken in 1917.
Courtesy of Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1972.


The Katharinenstadt Catholic church is at the far end of the "square" and the back of the Lutheran church is in the foreground toward the right.
Source: wolgadeutsche.net


New Katharinenstadt Catholic Church
Source: Bradley Hepfner (July 2009)


Interior of New Catholic Church
in Katharinenstadt
Source: Bradley Hepfner (July 2009)