Gattung, Marijinskoje, Marünskoje, Yastrebovo, Zug
51º51' N 47º03' E
Zug was founded on 10 August 1767 as a Roman Catholic colony by Baron Caneau de Beauregard. It was moved to a new location in 1770.
The congregation in Zug was Roman Catholic. A wooden church was constructed there in the Kontor style.
The congregation in Zug was served by the following priests:
**Of whom 2,433 (1,185 male & 1,248 female) were German living in 467 households.
***Of whom 2,433 were German.
****Of whom 2,803 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 614.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II by Count Orlov, 14 February 1769.
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980).
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
Censuses for Zug are available for the following years: 1798, 1834, & 1857.
Last updated 24 May 2013.