Warenburg
Names
Privalnaja, Privalnaya, Priwalnoje, Privalnoye, Privolnoye, Warenburg
Location
50º56' N 46º05' E
History
      Warenburg was founded as a Lutheran colony on 12 May 1767 by LeRoy & Pictet with colonists from Darmstadt, Brandenburg, Prussia, Württemberg, and Holstein.
      In 1770, Warenburg was looted during the Pugachev raids on the area.
      In 1876, immigration to North American began with the departure of 17 people.
      A Congress of representatives from the colonies on the Wiesenseite was held in Warenburg 24-27 February 1918. From 4-8 January 1919, there was an anti-Bolshevik uprising held in Warenburg against the government's requisitioning of food.
Church
      The Warenburg parish was founded in 1770. Between 1905-1907, a new church building was constructed of brick by architects and artisans from Germany and Latvia. It was built in the Kontor Style, originally painted completely white on the exterior, and is said to have seated 1,200 worshipers. The interior was painted white and blue. Above the altar in gilded letters was written "Ehre Gott in der Hohe" ("Glory to God in the Highest"). A balcony held a magnificent organ, and three crystal chandeliers hung from the dome above the sanctuary. The church was heated by three cast-iron furnaces. Around the church was a park.
      After the closure of the church in 1932, the building was used as a community entertainment center. The gilded praise to God was replaced by a red-lettered "Die Buhne ist der Spiegel des Lebens" ("The Stage Mirrors Life"). The furnaces broke and were removed. In 1939, the building was abandoned. In 1943, the building was used as a prison workshop and the prisoners worked on tractors beneath the dome.
Pastors
      The congregation in Warenburg was served by the following pastors:
"Miller" School
      The descendants of Heinrich Müller who had settled in Warenburg from near Darmstadt in Hesse became prominent merchants among the Volga German colonies. Over time, some branches of this family set up businesses in other parts of Russia as well. The community was in need of a school building, and in 1909 the ancestral home of the Müller family was acquired to serve this purpose. To this day, this building still functions as a school and is known as the Miller School.
Population
Population Table
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
543
1769
149
524
290
234
1773
145
579
327
252
1788
101
521
261
260
1798
122
672
344
328
1816
143
956
492
464
1834
220
1,766
867
899
1850
269
2,836
1,411
1,425
1857
303
2,377
1,685
1,692
1859
320
3,491
1,752
1,739
1883
5,146
1889
5,608
1894
1897
5,279*
2,611
2,668
1904
8,074
1910
784
8,340
4,167
4,173
1912
8,312
1920
1,017**
6,697
1922
4,848
1923
4,638
1926***
860
4,898
2,322
2,576
1931
5,217****
*Of whom 5,216 were German.
**Of which 1,005 households were German.
***Of whom 4,795 (2,269 male & 2,526 female) were German living in 841 households.
****Of whom 5,170 were German.
Sources:
- Amburger, Erik. Die Pastoren der evangelischen Kirchen Rußlands (Lüneburg, Germany: Institut Nordostdeutsches Kulturwerk, 1998): 141.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists. Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005.
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies. Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869.
- List of the Populated Places of the Samara Province. Samara, Russia, 1910.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 319.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen – Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: AER Verlag Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1978): 196.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
Resources
External Links
Warenburg (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 23 April 2014.
Map showing Warenburg (1935).


Warenburg Lutheran Church
Source: Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1972.


Interior of
Warenburg Lutheran Church
Source: Steve Schreiber.


Warenburg Lutheran Church (1957)
Source: Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1996.


Warenburg street scene showing Lutheran Church at the end.
[This photo is often mis-identified
as showing Orlovskaya.]
Source: Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1972.


Warenburg Lutheran Church (2005)
Photo courtesy of David Karber.


Warenburg Lutheran Church (2006)
Source: Alexander Bashkatov.


Warenburg Lutheran Church interior (2006)
Source: Alexander Bashkatov.


Warenburg Church Steeple (2005)
Photo courtesy of David Karber.

Warenburg School and Bell Tower

Miller School in Warenburg (1930s). Source: Alexandra Schmall.

Miller School in Warenburg (2006). Source: Steve Schreiber.

Miller School in Warenburg (2006). Source: Steve Schreiber.

Warenburg House