Folmar, Folmer, Kopenka, Kopjonka, Kozenka, Lugowoi, Lugowoj, Lugovoye, Volmar, Volmer, Vollmar, Vollmer, Vollmer Lugowoj
50º44' N 45º26' E
Under the leadership of Baron de Boffe, Volmer was founded as a Roman Catholic colony on 18 July 1766 with 47 families from Mainz, the Palatinate, and Trier. It was named after the first mayor of the colony.
The congregation in Volmer was originally part of the Kamenka Parish. It became an independent parish in 1904. A wooden church was built in Volmer in 1859 and dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. The church was supposedly closed in 1928.
The parish of Volmer was served by the following priests:
**Of whom 1,555 were German (270 households: 753 male & 802 female).
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 503-506.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 623.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980): 250.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
- Volmer - Kopenka (Cathy Hawinkels)
- Volmer - Kopenka (Angela Gartner)
- Volmer (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 31 May 2013.