Susannental, Susannenthal, Winkelmann
51º49' N 47º00' E
Susannental was founded on 3 August 1767 by Baron Caneau de Beauregard as a Lutheran colony. It was named after Baron Beauregard's wife.
Before 1820, Susannental was part of the parish headquartered in Bettinger. Beginning in 1820, Susannental became part of the parish headquartered in the neighboring parish of Näb.
The first church built in Susannental was in 1873. It was constructed of wood and could seat 1,200 worshipers.
Coming soon . . .
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists. Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005.
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies (Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869): 2:13; 4:52-53.
- List of the Populated Places of the Samara Province (Samara, Russia, 1910): 292.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 613.
- Preliminary Totals of the All-Union Population Census of 1926 for the Volga German ASSR (Pokrovsk, Russia, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
Last updated 22 May 2013.