Skatovka, Skatowka, Straub, Wiesental
50º58' N 46º06' E
Straub was founded as a Lutheran colony on 12 May 1767 by LeRoy & Pictet.
As a result of the building of the Volgograd Hydroelectric Power Station, the colony was relocated to higher ground above the flood plain created by the inundation of the Volga Reservoir. The former location is now mostly on an island in the Volga River.
The congregation in Straub was part of the Warenburg Lutheran Parish which had been established in 1770. A new church was constructed in 1875 in the Kontor style.
The congregation in Straub was served by the following pastors:
**Of which 454 households were German.
***Of whom 1,844 were German (347 households: 850 male & 994 female).
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 319.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
Last updated 23 April 2014.