Seewald, Sewald, Verkhnoye, Verkhovka, Verkhovye, Werchnoje, Werchowje, Werchowka
50º52' N 45º09' E
Sewald was founded on 20 August 1767 by Baron de Boffe as a Roman Catholic colony with colonists from the Palatinate, Mainz, and Darmstadt. It was named after the first group leader of the colony.
The congregation of Sewald belonged first to the parish of Schuck, later to the parish of Rothammel. It then became an independent parish. The first wooden church was built in 1807. A new church was built in 1839.
**Of whom 1,516 were German (250 households: 732 male & 784 female).
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 118-120. (Online)
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 622.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 11, 167-176.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 313.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980): 251.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
Censuses for Sewald are available for the following years: 1767, 1798, 1834, & 1857.
Last updated 14 November 2014.