Grasnovatka, Grjasnowatka, Gryznovatka, Partizanskoye, Schuch, Schuchow, Schuchowaki, Schuck
50º47' N 45º20' E
Schuck was founded as a Roman Catholic colony on 18 July 1766 by 29 families from the Palatinate and Mainz who had been recruited by Baron de Boffe. Eight additional families arrived on 1 May 1767. The colony was named after its first leader, Jakob Schuck. By decree, it was given the Russian name of Gryaznovatka on 26 February 1768.
On 16 September 1941, the inhabitants of Schuck were deported and distributed to villages and districts of the Krasnoyarsk Territory of Siberia. From 1942 to 1944, the village was used as a prison camp by the NKVD, with the prisoners engaged in agriculture. The colony no longer exists, having been raised completely sometime in the mid-1980s (it appears on topographical maps in 1981, but not in 1987).
The congregation in Schuck was the lead church in the Schuck Parish. A wooden church was constructed in Schuck in 1857 dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua. A new church building made of stone was planned with construction to begin in 1903. This new building was apparently never built. The church was eventually closed by Soviet authorities and used as a granary. In 1936, the building was dismantled and the lumber used to built a new sarpinka weaving factory.
The congregation in Schuck was served by the following priests:
Raphael Zubowitsch (Mar. 1803-2 Aug. 1808)
Theodosius Kalluha (3 Aug. 1808-Sep. 1820)
Peter Glaßmann (1887)
Stanislaus Kubic (1902-?)
Augustin Gabel (1904-1911)
Raphael Loran (1901-1904?)
Johannes Herrmann (1910?-1916)
Adam Bellendir (1916-1930/1931)
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 183-185.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 623.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 11, 111-118.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 320.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980): 251.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
- History of the Village of Schuck (Andrei Mushty) - in Russian
- Schuck (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 31 May 2013.