Michaelis, Schaffhausen, Wolkowo, Volkovo
51º56' N 47º18' E
Schaffhausen was founded as a Lutheran colony on 13 August 1767 by Baron Caneau de Beauregard. It was moved to a new location in 1770.
Schaffhausen was part of the Lutheran parish headquartered in Bettinger. The Lutheran Church in Schaffhausen was called "Holy Trinity" and was built of stone in 1832.
**Of whom 504 households were German.
***Of whom 2,268 (1,041 male & 1,227 female) were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 352.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies (Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869): 2:12;4:52-53.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 614.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Reith, Andreas. Bettinger Lutheran Church, 2009 (online - in Russian).
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
- Stumpp, Karl. Die Auswanderung aus Deutschland nach Rußland in den Jahren 1763 bis 1862 (Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 2004): 74.
Last updated 31 May 2013.