Pamyatnaya, Pamyatnoye, Pamjätnoje, Pamjatnoje, Rothammel
50º51' N 45º06' E
Rothammel was founded as a Roman Catholic colony on 21 August 1767 by Baron de Boffe. It was named after the first mayor of the colony.
Originally, the congregation in Rothammel belonged to the parish of Schuck. Later it became an independent parish.
A wooden church was built in Rothammel in 1824. In 1910, it was replaced by a new facility built of stone.
The parish in Rothammel was served by the following priests:
**Of which 268 households were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 352.
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies. Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 736-739. (Online)
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 622.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 11, 81-87.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980): 253.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
Families with the following surnames are known to have lived in Rothammel:
Censuses for Rothammel are available for the following years: 1767, 1798, 1834, & 1857.
Last updated 24 February 2015.