Pamyatnaya, Pamyatnoye, Pamjätnoje, Pamjatnoje, Rothammel
50º51' N 45º06' E
Rothammel was founded as a Roman Catholic colony on 21 August 1767 by Baron de B offe. It was named after the first mayor of the colony.
Originally, the congregation in Rothammel belonged to the parish of Schuck. Later it became an independent parish.
A wooden church was built in Rothammel in 1824. In 1910, it was replaced by a new facility built of stone.
The parish in Rothammel was served by the following priests:
**Of which 268 households were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 352.
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies. Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 736-739.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 622.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 11, 81-87.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980): 253.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
Censuses for Rothammel are available for the following years: 1767, 1798, 1834, & 1857.
Last updated 12 March 2013.