Reinwald, Staritsa, Staritskoye, Starica, Stariza
51º34' N 46º31' E
Reinwald was founded on 14 July 1767 by the Government as a Lutheran colony. By decree dated 26 February 1768, Reinwald received the offical Russian name of Staritsa which means Oxbow Lakes.
Originally the congregation in Reinwald was part of the Rosenheim parish which had been established in 1767. Following the 1941 explusion of the Volga Germans, the steeple of the church in Reinwald was removed and the building converted into a community cultural center.
The congregation in Reinwald was served by the following pastors:
**Of whom 2,307 (1,109 male & 1,198 female) were German living in 439 households.
***Of whom 2,923 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 352.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 612.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 11, 29-46.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 318.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II by Count Orlov, 14 February 1769.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
Reinwald (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 24 May 2013.