Krasnopolye, Krasnopolje, Preiss, Preuß, Preuss
50º51' N 46º06' E
Preuss was founded as a Roman Catholic colony on 12 May 1767 by LeRoy & Pictet.
The colony was abandoned, and is today mostly under water due to the creation of the Volga Reservoir in 1961.
Coming soon . . .
The parish in Preuss was served by the following priests:
Anton Johann von Padua Zerr (1872-1877)
**Of which 755 households were German.
***Of whom 2,726 were German (551 households: 1,342 male & 1,384 female).
****Of whom 2,909 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 352.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- The German Settlements in the USSR before 1941 [in Russian] (Moscow, 2002): 117.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
Last updated 23 April 2014.