Orlovskaya, Orlowskaja, Orlowskoje
51º46' N 46º54' E
Orlovskaya was founded on 7 June 1767 by Baron Caneau de Beauregard as a Lutheran colony.
Orlovskaya was originally part of the parish headquartered in Katharinenstadt. In 1820, it became part of the parish headquartered in Näb.
A new Lutheran church was built in Orlovskaya in 1860 by architect Frederick Lagus. During the Soviet era, the building was used as a granary and warehouse - the same fate of many Volga German churches. In 1960, the bell tower was removed. Following a fire in 1969, the building was rebuilt and now houses a community center and the village library.
**Of those, 2,709 (1,265 male & 1,444 female) were German living in 521 households.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 352.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 613.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
- 1767 Census of Orlovskaya (Altenhoff.org)
- 1798 Census of Orlovskaya (Altenhoff.org)
- 1834 Census of Orlovskaya (Altenhoff.org)
- Orlovskaya (Wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 23 May 2013.