Louis, Lui, Otrogovka, Otrogowka, Otrogowka or Metschetnaja
51º22' N 46º51' E
Louis was founded on 14 June 1766 by LeRoy & Pictet as a Roman Catholic colony. The colony of Chasselois was destroyed in 1785 and many of its surviving inhabitants relocated to Louis.
The church in Louis was built of stone and dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua.
The parish in Louis was served by the following priests:
**Of whom 2,740 were German (541 households: 1,324 male & 1,416 female).
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 351.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 612.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1972): 127-128.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
- Louis, Russia (Kevin Rupp)
Last updated 29 November 2013.