Brehning, Brenning, Karamysh, Kutter, Neumann, Parafej Chutor, Pfaffenkutter, Popovka, Popowka
51º02' N 45º32' E
Kutter was founded as a Reformed colony on 8 July 1767 by the Government. The colony was named after its leader. The original colonist families came from Isenburg, Hesse, Prussia.
By decree dated 26 February 1768, Kutter was given the official Russian name of Popovka.
The congregation in Kutter was part of the Reformed parish headquartered in Messer. There was a wooden church built in the colony. Some colonists are Baptist.
The congregation in Kutter was served by the following pastors:
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 348.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 791-793.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 319.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 19.
- Kutter (Dick Kraus)
- Kutter (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
- there is also a FaceBook page for Kutter
Last updated 25 November 2013.