Grjaznucha, Kraft, Verchnjaja Grjaznucha, Verkhnaya Grasnukha, Verkhnyaya Gryaznukha, Werchnaja Gräsnucha
50º29' N 45º29' E
Kraft was founded on 18 August 1767 as a Lutheran colony by the Government.
In 1876, immigration began to North America. These families settled in Kansas. Between 1879-1880, about 100 families moved to the Kuban region and settled in Orlovskaya and Michaelovskaya. In 1881, about 20 families returned because of the poor harvests.
The congregation in Kraft was part of the Stephan parish which had been established in 1771. A new church building was completed in 1865.
The congregation in Kraft was served by the following pastors:
**Of which 491 households were German.
**Of whom 3,412 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 623.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 318.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Russland, 1972): 193.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
- Schultheiss, David R. "Kraft, My Birthplace and Hometown as I Remember It." AHSGR Journal 10:1 (Spring 1987).
Last updated 6 April 2013.