Huck
Names
Huck,Splavnucha
Location
51º05' N 45º22' E
History
      Huck was founded on 1 July 1767 as a Crown Colony by 79 families from Isenburg and the Palatinate. It is located on the Bergseite, approximately 50 miles southwest of Saratov along the Yelkhovka Creek, near the Splavnukha River from which it takes its Russian name.
      In January 1887, nineteen families left Huck, eventually settling in the Argentinean village of San Antonio. On 25 May 1889, another fourteen families from Huck arrived in San Antonio, followed by another seventeen families on 21 November 1891.On 25 May 1889, another eleven families from Huck arrived in San Antonio, followed by another seventeen families on 21 November 1891.
      There was a German school in the colony since it was founded in 1767. A Russian school was built there in 1865, and also a college was located in Huck.
      According to a tally taken in 1894, most of the colonists were engaged in farming. There were, however, also 7 tailors, 20 cobblers, 32 carpenters, 6 masons, 78 carpenters, 27 wheelwrights, 1 cooper, 18 blacksmiths, and 1 binder. An additional 184 people were engaged in weaving gingham in their homes.
Church
      The congregation in Huck was originally part of the Reformed parish headquartered in Norka. A wooden church was built in Huck in 1840.
Pastors
The congregation in Huck was served by the following pastors:
Population
Population Table
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
306
1769
79
319
161
158
1773
80
380
195
183
1788
78
570
282
288
1798
87
643
325
318
1816
126
1,209
592
617
1834
210
2,120
1,078
1,042
1850
228
3,491
1,752
1,739
1857
372
4,241
2,110
2,131
1859
322
4,328
2,184
2,144
1886*
535
5,191
2,565
2,626
1891
400
7,384
3,688
3,696
1894
387
7,309
3,677
3,632
1897
5,134**
2,521
2,613
1905
7,200
1911
9,866
1920
783***
6,348
1922
4,938
1926****
745
5,031
2,447
2,584
1931
5,200*****
*Including 172 families that have permanently relocated elsewhere (to daughter colonies on the Wiesenseite, to the Caucasus, and to America).
**Of whom 5,109 were German.
***Of which 762 households were German.
****Of whom 5,014 were German (733 households: 2,431 male & 2,583 female).
*****Of whom 5,188 were German.
Sources:
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 970-972.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 622.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 319.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 19.
External Links
Huck (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Huck Village Web Site (Dennis Zitterkopf)
Last updated 6 April 2013.
Map showing Huck (1935).


Church in Huck
Source: Steve Schreiber

School in Huck
built in 1890