Goldstein, Holstein, Kulaninike, Verchnjaja Kulalinka, Verkhnaya Kulalinka, Verkhnyaya Kulalinka, Werchnaja Kulalinka
50º25' N 45º41' E
Holstein was founded on 26 May 1765 by the Government as a Lutheran colony. It is located on the banks of the Galka River.
The congregation in Holstein was part of the Galka parish. The Lutheran church building in Holstein was built of wood in 1830.
The congregation in Holstein was served by the following pastors:
**Of which 242 households were German.
***Of whom 1,334 were German (253 households: 653 male & 681 female).
****Of whom 1,472 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 549-551.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 621.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
- Censuses: 1767, 1798, 1834, 1850, 1857
Last updated 6 April 2013.