Hölzel, Kochetnaya, Kochetnoye, Kotshetnoye, Kotschetnoje, Neuendorf
Hölzel, a Roman Catholic colony, was founded on 11 September 1767 by LeRoy & Pictet.
The colony was relocated to higher ground, east of its former location, due to the flooding caused by the Volga Reservoir in 1961. The Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad) Hydroelectric Power Station many kilometers down river created this large reservoir which inundated several of the Volga German colonies.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 308.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 109-123.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
Censuses: 1767, 1798, 1834, 1850, & 1857.
Last updated 23 April 2014.