Herzog, Susly, Sussly
51º29' N 46º43' E
Herzog was a Roman Catholic colony founded on 14 July 1766 by LeRoy & Pictet.
Herzog was a part of the Rohleder parish until 1903.
A new church built of brick was completed in 1897. It was demolished during the Soviet era and the bricks used to build a school in nearby Mariental.
The parish in Herzog was served by the following priests:
**Of which 333 households were German.
***Of whom 1,418 were German (259 households: 673 male & 745 female).
****Of whom 1,501 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 87-96.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.
- Herzog (Susly), Russia (Kevin Rupp)
- Welcome to the Herzog, Russia Homepage (Jerry Braun & Roger Toepfer)
Last updated 31 May 2013.