Gebel, Goebel, Göbel, Ust-Grasnukha, Ust-Gräsnucha, Ust-Grjasnucha, Ust-Grjaznucha, Ust-Gryaznukha
50º28' N 45º25' E
Göbel was founded by the Government as a Roman Catholic colony on 25 May 1767 with 72 families from Mainz, Würzburg, and Isenburg. It took its name after the first leader of the colony. By decree on 26 February 1768 the colony was given the Russian name of Ust-Gryaznukha, the name of the river upon whose bank the colony had been located.
The congregation in Göbel was originally part of the Catholic parish in Semenovka. It became an independent parish with a resident priest in 1894.
A wooden church was built in Göbel in 1848 and consecrated to St. Wendelin.
Coming soon . . .
**Of whom 2,110 were German (379 households: 1,035 male & 1,075 female).
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 349.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 1066-1068.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 623.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 37-76.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 19.
Gebel (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 6 April 2013.