Beresovka, Beresowka, Berezovka; Berjosowka, Dehler, Deller, Teller
51º10' N 45º55' E
Dehler was founded on 1 July 1767 as a Roman Catholic colony by 55 colonists from areas of Trier, Nassau, Hesse and Darmstadt. They had been recruited by LeRoy & Pictet. It was named after the first mayor (Vorsteher) of the colony, Johannes Dehler.
A wooden church was built in Dehler in 1894. It was later replaced by a stone building.
The parish in Dehler was served by the following priests:
**Of whom 2,127 were German (381 households: 1,010 male & 1,117 women).
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 349.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- The German Settlements in the USSR before 1941 [in Russian] (Moscow, 2002): 101.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 267-278.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Joseph Schnurr, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen, Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart, 1980), p. 247.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
Last updated 22 May 2013.