Biberstein, Georgiewka, Georgievka, Glarus
51º55' N 47º16' E
Biberstein was founded as a Lutheran colony on 20 August 1767 by Baron Caneau de Beauregard. It moved to a new location between Bettinger and Schaffhausen along the Volga River in 1770.
Biberstein was part of the Lutheran parish headquartered in Bettinger. A new church was built of wood in Biberstein in 1862.
**Of whom 1,534 (749 male & 785 female) were German, living in 270 households.
***Of whom 2,321 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 348.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 614.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Reith, Andreas. Bettinger Lutheran Church, 2009 (online - in Russian).
- Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II by Count Orlov, 14 February 1769.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
- Stumpp, Karl. Die Auswanderung aus Deutschland nach Rußland in den Jahren 1763 bis 1862 (Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 2004): 68.
- Censuses: 1798, 1857
Glarus (Wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 24 May 2013.