Barataevka, Baratajewka, Baratayevka, Bettinger, Vorotaevka
47º17' N 51º55' E
Bettinger was founded on 3 August 1767 by Baron Caneau de Beauregard as a Lutheran colony. It moved to a new location in 1770.
In 1780, Bettinger became the lead parish for the surrounding Lutheran congregations in Schaffhausen, Basel, Biberstein, and Zürich. A new church building made of wood was built in 1871. It was called Peter & Paul Lutheran Church.
In 2000, the skeletal remains of the Bettinger Lutheran Church were still standing, but in approximately 2010, even those were destroyed by fire. All that remains today is the remants of the foundation.
1780-1791 Christian August Tornow
1792-1797 Klaus Peter Lundberg
1803-1820 Adam Christian Paulus Kohlreiff
1820-1822 Oliver Christoph Holm
1823-1861 Johann Pundani
1862-1876 Hieronymus Ludwig Münder
1877-1878 Gotthilf Heinrich Keller
1879-1889 Ernst Theodor David
1890-1907 Richard Keller
1908-1933 Christfried Otto Hörschelmann
The following pastor is a son of the colony:
**Of whom 2,727 were German.
***Of which 569 households were German.
****Of whom 2,461 (1,157 male & 1,304 female) were German living in 468 households.
*****Of whom 3,307 were German.
- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 348.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 614.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 131-138.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Reith, Andreas. Bettinger Lutheran Church, 2009 (online - in Russian).
- Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II by Count Orlov, 14 February 1769.
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen – Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: AER Verlag Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1978): 196.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
Bettinger (Wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 19 November 2015.