Lindenau
Names
Lindenau, Ovrazhnoye
Location
Coming soon . . .
History
      Lindenau was founded by Mennonite colonists from West Prussia in 1858. It was located on a bluff above the Tarlyk River which was lined with Linden trees from which it took its name. Lindenau was one of a group of Mennonite Colonies known as the Am Trakt Settlement.
      During the anti-German renaming of 1914-1916, Lindenau was given the name of Ovrazhnoye which means ravine.
Church
Coming soon . . .
Pastors
Coming soon . . .
Population
Population Table
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1857
18
68
34
34
1859
58
1865
124
1889
129
1897
26
174
93
81
1905
180
1910
31
243
117
126
1912
300
1920
42
208
1922
145
1926
35
186
88
98
Sources:
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005): 402.
- Dyck, Johannes J. Am Trakt: A Mennonite Settlement in the Central Volga Region. Winnipeg, MB: CMBC Publications, 1995.
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies. Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869 (Appendix II, p.16).
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
- List of the Populated Places of the Samara Province (Samara: 1910): 333.
- Preliminary Totals of the All-Union Population Census of 1926 for the Volga German ASSR (Pokrovsk: 1927): pp.28-83.
Resources
1857 Census of Lindenau (mennonitehistory.org)
External Links
Lindenau (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 8 April 2013.

Map showing Lindenau (1935).