Keppenthal, Kirovo, Köppental, Koeppental, Surki
51°01'54" N 46°23'00" E
Köppental was founded by Mennonite colonists from West Prussia in 1855. It was named in honor of academician Peter Ivanovich Köppen. Lutherans also settled in the colony.
Köppental was one of a group of Mennonite Colonies known as the Am Trakt Settlement. In 1881, some of the settlers joined Pastor Claus Epp Jr. and his group and moved to Turkestan.
During the 1914-1916 anti-German renaming period, Köppental was given the name Surki which means marmots. Today the village is known as Kirovo.
A church building was constructed in the colony in 1866.
Coming soon . . .
**Of whom 386 (175 male & 211 female) were German living in 87 households.
***Of whom 693 were German.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005): 402.
- Dyck, Johannes J. Am Trakt: A Mennonite Settlement in the Central Volga Region. Winnipeg, MB: CMBC Publications, 1995.
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies. Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869 (Appendix II, p.16).
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
- List of the Populated Places of the Samara Province (Samara, Russia, 1910): 333-334.
- Preliminary Totals of the All-Union Population Census of 1926 for the Volga German ASSR (Pokrovsk, Russia, 1927): pp.28-83.
- Schroeder, William and Helmut Huebert. Mennonite Historical Atlas (Winnipeg, MB: Springfield Publishers, 1996): 133.
1857 Census of Keppenthal (mennonitehistory.org)
- Köppental (Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online)
- Keppental (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 8 April 2013.