Hahnsau, Hans-au, Kamennoye, Novo-Kamenka
50°59' N 46°22' E
Hahnsau was founded by Mennonite colonists from West Prussia in 1854. It was named after Eduard von Hahn, a councilor in the Russian government charged with oversight of the Mennonite colonies in South Russia.
Hahnsau was one of a group of Mennonite Colonies known as the Am Trakt Settlement. Hahnsau was, however, not a traditional colony, but it had been an estate that was purchased in order to be settled as a Mennonite village.
Following the revocation of their exemption from universal military conscription, the Mennonites began immigrating to the Americas in 1878. Those who remained sold their holdings (the estate) to the Miller brothers in about 1881 and followed their pastor, Claus Epp Jr., in a migration to Turkestan. The Millers in turn sold the estate to Russians in the late 1890s.
During the anti-German geographic renaming of 1914-1916, Hahnsau was renamed Kamennoye.
Claas Epp, Jr. (1854-1881)
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005): 402.
- Dyck, Johannes J. Am Trakt: A Mennonite Settlement in the Central Volga Region. Winnipeg, MB: CMBC Publications, 1995.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
1857 Census of Hahnsau (mennonitehistory.org)
- Hahnsau (Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online)
- Novo-Kamenka (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
To submit additional information or corrections for this page, please contact the CVGS Webmaster.
Last updated 12 March 2011.