Romashki, Strassburg, Strassburg am Torgun
50°11' N 46°40' E
Strassburg was founded in 1860 along the left bank of the Torgun River as a Lutheran colony. The original resettlers were from the colonies of Galka, Shcherbakovka, Kraft, Schwab, Holstein, Dobrinka, and Balzer.
Following the 1941 Deportation, the village was known by its Russian name of Romashki which means daisies.
The congregation in Strassburg was part of the Lutheran parish headquartered in Alt-Weimar where the pastor was in residence. There were also some Baptists in the colony.
Coming soon . . .
**Of which 501 were German.
***Of whom 2,620 (1,265 male & 1,355 female) were German living in 468 households.
****Of whom 3,073 were German.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 313.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
Strassburg (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 8 April 2013.