Lysanderdorf, Neu-Messer, Pogranichnoye
51°03' N 45°06' E
Neu-Messer was founded on the banks of the Kopenka Creek as a Lutheran colony in 1863 by colonists from Messer. It was also known as Lysanderdorf, a name derived from Mr. Lysander who worked in the Office of Foreign Settlers. [Klaus erroneously records that the colony was known as Neu-Maier/Neu-Meier.]
There were many colonists (182 people as of 1887) engaged in the sarpinka weaving industry. In 1883 and again in 1887, a plague wiped out most of the cattle in the colony.
Since the founding of the colony, there has been a parochial school in Neu-Messer. A government school was begun in 1894.
Immigration from Neu-Messer to America began in 1876.
The congregation in Neu-Messer belonged to the parish headquartered in Norka where there was a resident pastor.
Coming soon . . .
**Of whom 2,323 were German.
- Klaus, A. Our Colony [in Russian] (St. Petersburg, 1869), XI.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 311.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 664-667.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
- Neu-Messer (Wolgadeutche.net)
Last updated 23 April 2012.