Marienfeld, Novonikolayevka, Spatzenchutor
50°12' N 45°06' E
Marienfeld was founded in 1852 as a Roman Catholic colony.
During the Bolshevik revolution in the Summer of 1918, a call went out to the farmers of the Volga colonies in the area of Marienfeld to join in defense against the approaching Bolshevik army. They did manage to capture a passing train, but were soon overpowered by the Bolshevik army approaching from the south. The farmers were overcome by the army, and the colony of Marienfeld was torched by the "Reds" (Bolsheviks) in 1918.
Marienfeld was founded as a Roman Catholic colony. Saint Rochus Catholic Church was constructed in Marienfeld. It was destroyed in 1918 during the burning of Marienfeld by the Bolshevik army.
The following priests served the Catholic parish in Marienfeld:
**Of which 336 households were German.
***Of whom 2,252 were German.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 311.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 606-609.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Rempfer, Michael (trans.). "The White Red Train: Experiences of a German Russian Farmer in 1918" GRHS News (Summer 2014).
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen, Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Russland, 1980): 245.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.
Last updated 25 July 2014.