Liebental, Liebenthal, Pionerskoye
51°17'85" N 46°51'68" E
Liebental was a Catholic daughter colony founded in 1859 in Samara Province, Kanton Mariental.
The first group of immigrants to North America departed in the fall of 1875, sailing aboard the SS Ohio. This group is reported to include the following:
John Peter Schäffer
An independent Catholic parish was established in Liebental in 1861.
The parish in Liebental was served by the following priests:
Johannes Zimmermann (1910)
**Of which 131 households were German.
- Dechant, Emerald. Die Liebenthaler und Ihre Kirche. Hays, KS: News Pub. Co., 1976?.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
Liebental (wolgadeutsche.net) - in Russian
Last updated 12 November 2013.