Hoffental, Hoffenthal, Zhdanovka
51°04' N 47°09' E
Hoffental was officially founded in 1859 as a Lutheran colony by colonists resettling from Beideck, Frank, Grimm, Hussenbach, Kolb, Norka, Schilling, and Walter. These colonists had been living there as early as 1857 and appear on an 1857 census there.
The congregation in Hoffental became an independent Lutheran parish in 1905 with a resident pastor.
The congregation in Hoffental was served by the following pastors:
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen – Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: AER Verlag Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1978): 351.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
How Many Schillings Are There? (Gary Martens)
Last updated 7 April 2013.