Gnadentau, Sobachii Kolonok, Verkhniy Yeruslan
46°31' N 50°30' E
Gnadentau was founded in 1860 as a Lutheran daughter colony by colonists resettling from Franzosen, Galka, Shcherbakovka, Stephan, Müller, Schwab, Dietel, Merkel, and Grimm.
By 1910, the colony had a Lutheran church, 2 schools - parochial and district, 1 creameries, and 3 windmills.
Since 1876, Gnadentau has been the headquarters of its own Lutheran parish. A brick church was constructed between 1884-1888.
The congregation was disbanded by the government in 1938. The building was then used as a granary and barn. Beginning on 29 October 2004, the church building was once again used to hold worship services. Restoration of the building continues.
Andrey Poutov (?-2010)
**Of whom 279 were inhabited by ethnic Germans.
***Of whom 2,008 (951 male & 1057 female) were German and 353 households were occupied by them.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 312.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.
- Gnadentau (Wolgadeutsche.net)
- Gnadentau Original Settlers (Jeruslan Nachrichten)
- Gnadentau Lutheran Church (current homepage)
Last updated 8 April 2013.