Settlements along the Volga > Samara Colonies
Samara Colonies in Russia
Beginning in 1859, a number of colonies were settled in the Volga Region above the city of Samara about 45 miles from the Volga River. Originally 10 colonies were established in a cluster called the Alexandertal Settlement and inhabited almost exclusively by Mennonites from West Prussia. In 1863, a number of Lutheran colonists arrived, mostly from Poland and Silesia, and were settled in colonies clustered around the original Mennonite colonies.
In later years, both of these colony groups (Mennonite and Lutheran) attracted those resettling from the lower Volga colonies and the Black Sea region. Thousands of Black Sea Germans also lived in these colonies as they were moving to areas east of the Ural Mountains where they were seeking better farming opportunities.
The following colonies were located in this cluster north and east of Samara:
- Alexandertal Mennonite Settlement (Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online)
- Harder, R. B. "Die deutschen Siedlungen im Gebiet Kujbischew (Samara)." Heimatbuch der Ostumsiedler (Stuttgart: Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1955): 38-41.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 86-87.
Last updated 9 March 2011.