Immigration > United States > Colorado > Loveland > First German Congregational Church
First German Congregational Church
Loveland, Larimer Co., Colorado
First Location
Coming soon . . .
Second Location
10th & Lincoln
Loveland, Colorado
Third Location
800 N. Lincoln Ave.
Loveland, CO 80537-4867
telephone: 970.667.4884
History
      Loveland’s First German Congregational Church was organized 24 November 1901, by the Reverend M.E. Eversz, D.D., and the Reverend Adam Traudt as the third German Congregational Church in Colorado. The previous two German Congregational Churches formed in Colorado were located in Denver.
      The original First German Congregational Church was completed in 1903. This small congregation of about 26 members later joined the German Congregational Zion Church of Loveland in 1910 when a larger church was built at a location on 10th Street and Lincoln Avenue. Within five years, the size of the congregation grew to over 250 members and a larger building was needed. A site for the new church was selected at the corner of E. 8th Street and N. Lincoln Avenue. The building was dedicated in November 1915. In 1965 the congregation voted to become affiliated with the United Church of Christ and is known as the First Congregational Church.
Pastors
Philip Bechtel (1902-1904)
J. D. Gross (1905-1910)
John Hoelzer (1910-1916)
J. H. Ament (1916-1920)
O. J. Tiede (1920-1922)
Daniel G. Schurr (1922-1924)
George Batt (1924-1933)
G. J. Schmidt (1933-1938)
John Hoelzer (1938-1939)
E. Gackle (1939-1943)
William Strauch (1943-1950)
Abraham Brenning (1950-1962)
Walter Kranzler (1962-1971)
Jon Almgren (1972-1976)
Robert Peters (1977-1981)
Lanning Johnson (1983-1989
Arthur Orth (1990-2000)
Jonathan Winans (2001-2005)
James Watson
Sources:
- Application for Historic Landmark Property Designation, City of Loveland, Staff Report
- Our Church History (First Congregational Church, Loveland)
Resources
Coming soon . . .
External Links

First German Congregational Church
Original Building (1903)
Photo courtesy of First Congregational Church.


First Congregational Church
(built in 1915)
Photo courtesy of First Congregational Church.