Immigration > Argentina > Misiones Province
Immigration to
Misiones Province,
Argentina
History
      The first European to visit the region was Sebastian Cabot who navigated up the Paraná River in December 1527. In 1541, Álvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca reached the Iguazú Falls. In the 17th century, members of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) came to the area and founded series of Catholic missions, after which the Argentine Province was named (Misiones is Spanish for Missions). In 1773, the Jesuits were evicted from the area.
      The area was relatively self-governing until 1830 when Argentine forces from Corrientes Province took control of it. Paraguay occuped the territory from 1838 until 1865 when Argentina invaded again. It was officially ceded by Paraguay in 1876.
      European immigrants make up the majority of the population of Misiones. The German immigrants to Misiones Province came directly from Germany, from Brazil, and from the German colonies along the Russian Volga River.
Primary Settlements
Coming soon . . .
Sources:
"Wolgarausch in Argentinien." Volk auf dem Weg (February 2006): 14-15. (English translation.)
External Links
- Misiones (official website - in Spanish)
Last updated 8 December 2012.