Salto,
Diamente Departamento,
Entre Ríos Province
Names
Aldea Salto, Köhler, Salto, Santa Cruz
Location
31°95' S 60°55' W
History
      Assigned to Farm No. 78 along Salt Creek (Arroyo Salto), Santa Cruz was founded in 21 July 1878 along with Valle Maria, Spatzenkutter, General Alvear, and Protestante. There were originally 154 settlers organized into 28 households in Santa Cruz. Today the village is known as Salto, after the creek.
      The following families, from the colony of Köhler, have been identified as founding families:
Beim
Beillinder
Diehl
Dietrich
Dietz
Dumrauf
Freiberger
Gareis
Geist
Gebhart
Hammerschmidt
Kirchgesner
Macht
Marsch
Pretz
Ruhl
Ruppel
Schneider
Siebel
Ulrich
Weinzettel
Zorn

      The following individuals are also identified in early records:

Gareis, Bárbara née Schonfeld
Kisner, Juliana
Rolheiser, Mariana
Klein, Franz (Francisco)
Gareis, Valentín
Gareis, Andreas (Andrés)
Gareis, Joseph (José)
Gareis, Johannes (Juan)
Leineker
Bawmann
Prescher, Peter (Pedro)
Ruhl, Adam (Adán)
Gebhart, Joseph (José)
Müller
Weinzettel
Sommer
Hasenauer, Joseph (José)
Maylaka, Friedrich (Federico)
Lehl
Sources:
Coming soon . . .
Volga German Congregations
      Originally the church was called Iglesia Santa Cruz. In 1913, the name was changed to Iglesia San Miguel Arcángel. It was established by the Jesuit Order in 1888.
Resources
1881 Census of Salto (Jorge L. Guttig)
External Links
To submit additional information for this page, please contact the CVGS Webmaster.

Last updated on 18 January 2012.

San Miguel Arcángel Catholic Church
in Salto.
Source: Federico Alberto Gareis.

Interior of
San Miguel Arcángel Catholic Church.
Source: Facebook.