Hinojo
Partido de Olavarría
Buenos Aires Province
Names
Colonia Hinojo, Hinojo, Kamenka, Santa María de Hinojo
Location
36°52' S 60°10' W
History
      On the 5th of January 1878, the colony of Santa María de Hinojo was founded in the Partido de Olavarría of Buenos Aires Province, about 35 kilometers south of Azul. This was the first Volga German settlement in Argentina. The first settlement group consisted of eight families and three unmarried individuals who arrived by train from the port in Buenos Aires. The colony was originally called Kamenka after the colony from which the founding settlers came. However, it was officially Santa María de Hinojo which was simplified to Hinojo over time. Hinojo translates to "fennel" in English. The colony was successful and following a conflict with a neighboring colony of French immigrants, Hinojo was moved to its present location.
      Among those early settlers were:
Andreas (Andrés) Fischer
Georg (Jorge) Fischer
Joseph (José) Kissler
Michael (Miguel) Kissler
Andreas (Andrés) Kissler
Peter (Pedro) Pollak
Joseph (José) Simon
Johann (Juan) Schamber
Jakob (Jacobo) Schwindt
Leonard (Leonardo) Schwindt
Sources:
Coming soon . . .
Volga German Congregations
Coming soon . . .
Resources
Coming soon . . .
External Links
Colonia Hinojo (Wikipedia) - in Spanish
Last updated on 30 March 2011.

The church of Colonia Hinojo at sunset. The architecture of the church is very similar to the design of the church in Kamenka, Russia - the original home of the first settlers. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


One of ten stained glass windows made in Germany and donated by the first settlers. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


"Cross of the Request" with Gerardo Waimann, his wife and children. In the past, each November, the women of the colony walked to this site to pray for a good harvest. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


Partial view of the cemetery in Hinojo (2007). Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


The Volga German Memorial in Colonia Hinojo. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


Parade of the Volga Germans descendants during the 130th anniversary celebration on January 5, 2008. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


Dedication from the Adam Weimann family who donated one vitraux (stained glass window) to the Colonia Hinojo church. The glass was made in Germany. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


Detail view of the Volga German Memorial in Colonia Hinojo. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.


Memorial on the site of the first location of Colonia Hinojo which is 3 kilometers from the current position of the town. The inscription on the stone is:
"Colonia Hinojo 1878 - 2008 - First German settlement in Argentina"
Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann.






Above - three old Volga German houses in Colonia Hinojo. Photographs courtesy of Gerardo Waimann (2008).


Parish house in Colonia Hinojo. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann (2008).


Volga German club in Colonia Hinojo. Photograph courtesy of Gerardo Waimann (2008).