History > Religion > Churches
Architecture of Volga German Churches
      Construction of facilities for collective worship, religious instruction, and Bible study began almost immediately following arrival of the first colonists in Russia in 1764. The initial structures were often of simple woodframe construction. Over the years, the simple buildings were replaced by structures that were quite elaborate with intricate brick/stone work, ornate interiors, and outstanding organs. Some could hold several thousand worshipers at one time. In the smaller colonies, there may not have been an official "church" but what the colonists called a bethaus (prayer house).
      Photographs that have been located of these church structures are posted to the pages of the respective colonies. This page provides an opportunity to view a group of these churches. The page has been organized by denomination: Catholic and Lutheran & Reformed. A few photos of church interiors have also been located.
Catholic Churches
Lutheran and Reformed Churches
Last updated 25 November 2013.