History > Education
Most colonies established church-based schools soon after the founding of the colony. In general, children began school at the age of seven and finished at age fourteen. The school year ran from October to Easter. Classes were generally very large with 200-400 students per teacher - most colonies having only one teacher.
In 1865, there were 175 schools among the colonies, 214 teachers, and 43,269 students. There were two upper division schools called "Central Schools" - one in Grimm and one in Katharinenstadt. Those attending the Central Schools went for six years and the subjects included Russian and German, arithmetic, religion, penmanship, and hymnal music.
The MoraviansIn 1772, the Moravian Brotherhood opened a school for boys in Sarepta. In 1773, they opened a school for girls. Students were taught Latin and Russian, history, and geography. In 1793, mathematics and natural science, physics, chemistry, mechanics, and botany. The school had a library and pharmaceutical laboratory where local plants and productrion facilities served as educational aids. In 1797, a school was established for apprentices in the trades. Over time, the Kontora requested that Sarepta accept children from the Volga colonists into their schools. The first year, 16 Volga German children came to the school and by 1850 that number had risen to 34.
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005): 425.
Coming soon . . .
To submit additional information or corrections for this page, please contact the CVGS Webmaster.
Last updated 20 August 2010.