Gazetteer > Volgograd
Stalingrad, Tsaritsyn, Tsaritzyn, Volgograd, Zaritzyn
48º42' N 44º31' E
      Volgograd was founded in 1589 as the fortress of Tsaritsyn at the confluence of the Tsaritsa and Volga Rivers to protect Russia's southern border. It became an important trading post and was captured by the Pugachev Rebels in 1774. Its commercial importance continued to grow through the 19th century.
      The Tsaritsyn was the scene of heavy fighting during the Russian Civil War. The Bolsheviks, under the leadership of local military committee chairman Joseph Stalin, were able to defend the city against the White forces. In his honor, the city was renamed Stalingrad in 1925. The Battle of Stalingrad (from 21 August 1942 to 2 February 1943) was the pivotal battle of Russia's defense against the Germans during World War II. The city was reduced to rubble during the battle, but rebuilding began soon after the Germans were expelled from the city.
      In 1961, the city's name was changed to Volgograd as part of Nikita Khrushchev's programme of de-Stalinization.

      Tsaritsyn became an independent Lutheran parish with a resident pastor in 1867. It was served by the following pastors:

1890-1892 Viktor Freidrich August Dobbert
1892-1894 Heinrich Ferdinand Keller
1895-1908 Eugen Deggeler
1899-1901 Emil Friedrich Busch (Assistant Pastor)
1906-1907 Carl Cramer (Vicar)
1908-1913 Felix Coulin
1914-1927 Leopold Schmidt

- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen – Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: AER Verlag Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1978): 194.
External Links:
Volgograd (Wikipedia)
Last updated 28 June 2011.