Gazetteer > Kamyshin
50°4' N 45°24' E
Dmitrievskii, Dmitriyevsky, Kamyshin, Kamyshinka
Kamyshin was founded in 1667 on the left bank of the Kamyshinka River near where it enters the Volga about 100 kilometers south of Saratov. In 1710 it was moved to the right bank of the Kamyshinka. This settlement was named Dmitriyevsky. In 1780, they changed the name to Kamyshin. It was a major river port and the largest Russian city on the southern edge of the area inhabited by the Volga German colonies. German colonists went there in search of employment and commerce.
To submit additional information or corrections for this page, please contact the CVGS Webmaster.
Last updated 20 March 2009.