This is a gazetteer of the Volga German colonies (Mother and Daughter) as well as other geographical locations significant to the history of the Volga Germans.
Over the centuries, the German colonies along the Volga River have been known by a variety of names in both Russian and German. Not only did colonies often have both a German and a Russian name, but there are various forms of translations and transliterations that can be used among Russian, German, and English. Once the colonists arrived in North or South America, another set of spellings often came into use. This gazetteer was assembled to aid in identifying a colony by the variety of names by which it was known and to identify the standardized names used throughout this website.
The main entries are listed in bold face type. In alphabetizing the entries of this gazetteer, the German umlaut has been ignored.
- Beratz, Gottlieb. The German Colonies on the Lower Volga: Their Origin and Early Development (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991).
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia, English ed. (New York: Macmillan, 1973).
- Leibbrandt, Georg. Die deutschen Siedlungen in der Sowjetunion – Teil 5: Deutsche Wolgarepublik (Berlin: E. Meynen, 1941).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1-4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2008).
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001).
- Sallet, Richard. Russian-German Settlements in the United States (Fargo, ND: North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies, 1974). - Schmidt, D. Studien über die Geschichte der Wolgadeutschen - Erster Teil (Moscow: Zentral-Völker-Verlag, 1929).
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen – Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: AER Verlag Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1978).
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen –Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart: Selbstverlag Joseph Schnurr, 1980).
- Stumpp, Karl. The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the Years 1763-1862 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1982).